Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Math Blog

1.  What did I learn?
2.  What do I have questions about?
3.  What are the implications for classroom practice?

I find that participating in group discussions (reflections from the readings) and "practice" labs (where we implement learning strategies) are the most useful.  I am in favor of technology being used in the classroom and I learned how technology can assist learning in a practical way by recording movement and then translating that into graphical data--with variables like time and distance being communicated.  The implications for classroom practice are to find ways to use technology--in this case it was efficient, even if we could have done something similar using stopwatches and tape (marking distance) on the floor and a rolling bowling ball.  Nevertheless, this would not have been the simplistic version.  All this said, I pose the question to myself: in light of knowing that learners have emotional reactions towards "math", how can we help them have positive experiences that translate into understanding--rather than fear?  How much of the solution is fostered by using technology?

No comments: