I had to take a moment to reread what I had originally posted about my experience using the iTouch. I was feeling concerned that the use of the devices was not being effectively modeled to us. What I have since realized is that we (x11 cohort members) are the teachers of this little tool. This is the reason we are reviewing apps--so that we can recommend to our peers how the device can be used in educational settings and which ones to avoid.
I acknowledge the volume of apps (and not all are created equal), and would like to have an opportunity for the class to share out our which apps we think others could benefit from. We are required to post our findings, but I'd like to hear what my cohorts' reactions are to several apps in use. I'd like to be pointed in a direction and I'd like to begin to create my own list as opposed to waiting to hear recommendations via word of mouth or the wiki. Maybe we could start a list on the board in tech class--a cheat sheet for those of us who want to check up on a few things.
Another thought or guideline that was proposed for the use of the iTouch was is it ethical to use with children when parents have not given consent for the use of the device? I had not contemplated this arguement, but it swayed me in my decision to use my iTouch during the ELP I conducted on my kindergarten buddy. I was going to read Dr. Seuss's ABC to my buddy (a great introduction to beginning sounds) but felt very conflicted because I wanted to clarify first with his parents about what role they wanted certain technologies to play in the life of their son. Others may not agree, but I think that exposure to the Touch or cell phones is largely debatable. How do we achieve balance in the classroom and still respect the wishes of parents. Should certain technologies be off-limits if parents wish them to be? Should we send home waivers or disclaimers for the use of tehcnology? Do any parents object to the use of these things? Have there been recent discussions about this concern? Are we doing a disservice to students if we do not use technology such as the iTouch? (As a side note, I opted to read my buddy the book-version of the ABCs. He loved it!)
3 comments:
I like your questions about technology. Naturally, some will say I like most questions regarding the use of technology. I am OK with that. We should all have questions.
Given that I significantly limit my own children's screen time at home, I am happy that a future teacher is considering parents' views on technology! I make a point to be aware of how my daughter's school uses technology. Truth be told, I would like them to use a little more technology...that is, as long as it is well thought out.
I want my children to learn to use these tools. They have to, for one. And, I believe, some of the tools can be used in such a way to facilitate exceptional learning. They can also be a major waste of time. In many cases (after viewing a number of applets), given the choice between time in front of a computer screen playing these "educational games" and time learning with the teacher, I would opt for time with the teacher. I think there is something to be said for human connection as well as the experienced eyes, knowledge, and facilitation skills of a teacher.
The ways I think technology could be utilized better at my daughter's school involves mostly learning to use the computer as 1) a research tool and, 2) a communication tool. Given that she is in first grade, I will focus on #2 (not that we don't use the computer for research, we do...but we search together -- I am not ready for her to be surfing the web on her own!). Anyway, I think having kids communicate with people related to the curriculum is a great use of technology. For example, the class could skype or video conference with a meteorologist (they are studying weather right now). Additionally, I would love for her to begin using technology to create her own stories (for example, digital story telling, contributing to a class web-site etc..).
Anyway, this is the perspective of one parent.
I wonder if we could tweak your title question to "when to use and when not to use"? Putting the question into "yes or no" seems like a huge decision, when maybe, there are those perfect 15 minutes (or two hours ) every day when handhelds could really support our teaching.
Feel free to start a list on the board (off to the side because people need board space) or on a sheet of newsprint hung up (there should be some by the podium )!
I love that you're considering parents' views. I'm a huge advocate of family involvement.
And I still believe very strongly in professional judgment about things that require professional knowledge.
If kids are going to be posting work on the web, or if we're going to put pictures including their children on the web, parents absolutely have to be involved in the decision after the teacher has explained how privacy will be protected and the goals of these actions.
And when even teachers are often unclear about technology, it really does have to be our job to not only ask parents permission but to actively educate them about new technologies that they may not use at home or were certainly not part of their schooling.
But do we ask parents permission to use pastels in art instead of watercolors? Or hands-on projects in social studies instead of just answering text book questions? Or permission to do read-alouds? Or to use lessons involving creating playgrounds in math instead of just doing the text book math?
No. Those are things are things that we have professional knowledge about and that are our decisions to make.
These are not cell phones -- they are much more limited, and that's why so many schools like them.
Beyond issues of kids' being visible on the web, the feedback that student teachers have most often gotten from parents is much like Ladybug's -- they expect and want much more technology, especially when communicating with them.
But no, we don't ask parents' permission, but we always keep them really informed about what we're doing an why, and your kindergarten kids' parents have been fully informed about the Touch project!
I think this is a huge relief! Thanks for your reasoning Jane as it will certainly help inform my future decisions.
Post a Comment