Final Reflection: Technology's Relevance at School and in Our LivesScott McLeod presents.
At the beginning of Fall Quarter, we were asked to do some reading about blogging and watch Web 2.0—The Machine is Us/ing Us. The following is my response to these.
Compelling, visually and conceptually, but to a certain extent, I remain impartial about the uses of the web and other forms of advanced technology; but, it is obvious that some of us will be sucked in. I agree that what we once could do using pen and paper is by no means the only option for learning and correspondence. Of course, that mode is still an option, but not the most efficient. Even something as common as a land-line (house phone) pales in comparison to a cell phone, and the land-line has gone out of style. Certain forms of technology (tools) become obsolete. Communication via post mail (snail mail) went by way of telephone—people could communicate much quicker when they dialed a number. Some may argue that telephone usage is being replaced by informal Email—or texting! Of course, this is dependent upon personal choice and I don’t mean to make sweeping generalizations, but the possibilities of using the web as a communication source are profound—the film’s primary message. Additionally, I have listened to NPR hint that email is “old” and that Facebook and other social networking sites are the new hip trend that can offer more than basic email. I find it slightly amusing then, that NPR has also broadcasted about users’ dissatisfaction with the site, and is it possible that something even better than Facebook exists? If it doesn’t, it will soon. Technology shifts, morphs, and advances, and when it does, (when it is brought to the masses—the public) it isn’t by an elite few—the technologically savvy or computer geeks/geniuses! We (you and I) are the stewards of the web. But I don’t feel like a steward of the web—not really. I use the web to access and retrieve information. For the most part, I know my way around—I’d say I’m literate. My reservation has to do with asking the question, “How much of the web-landscape will I shape?” If all I do is blog or create a website to be used in a public school where access to the information is limited to those I teach, am I really shaping the future of the web? I’ll need to reflect about this question. I think, as an alternative, perhaps I am simply a participant of an on-going trend. But I don’t think we are anywhere near the end of that trend. If anything—something new will pop up, revolutionize the way we think about the internet and forms of communication, and take its place altogether. Before long, we will all be learning something new!
Ask me what I think now and whether I am able to answer my previous questions. First, I’d like to point out that I came across an intriguing guest speaker via another cohort’s blog post. I watched intently and took notes. The following is a summary.
I really enjoyed listening to Scott McLeod who pointed out 3 new functions of school. I’ll have to contemplate these functions as I continue to develop my teaching philosophy because they relate to what we have been studying related to technology. McLeod asserts that teachers need to:
1. Prepare students to be socially functional,
2. Prepare students to be masters of the dominant landscape of their time, and…
3. Prepare students so that they can be economically productive (so that they do not live in their parents' basements until they are 40 years old).
The speaker also points out that there is a big shift away from manual labor; there are disappearances in routine cognitive tasks (we can go to a kiosk to do business as opposed to having to deal directly with a sales-person. This shift isn’t always appreciated—think about what it’s like to bank over the phone. It can take forever to speak to a real person; instead, you hear an animated recording. On the other hand, self-checkout can be a godsend when a shopping line moves at slug-speed! People learn to navigate these situations.)
I could relate to something else McLeod had to say: “There is a ton of content out there. Some of it is junk some of it is phenomenal.” It is our task (yours and mine) to weed through the mass of information and decide what is good (and by this I mean helpful, though some may think I mean amusing) and what we can ignore. Also, because of the use of mobile devices, we can print or share information anytime and anywhere.
As I watched, I had an uncomfortable feeling start to creep into my mind. I started to think about my own stepdaughter and the type of technology (computer games, television, cell phones, etc.) that she is exposed to. McLeod’s address has me questioning how Hailey will be prepared for the economic/job outlook/landscape of the future. Conversely, what is my role or responsibility to see to it that Hailey is prepared for the new landscape of the future? And how do I make sure that I am on the cutting edge of technology (for example, just the other day I was learning about the differences between LCD and Plasma televisions. That made me feel like a real techno-dummy). I don’t necessarily feel the need to answer these questions right this minute because I’m still chewing on them. I think it’s important for me to learn, learn, learn, and expose myself to using technology. It’s awesome! For example, this year, I’m not going to write a Christmas card and waste paper and spend money. I’m going to create, with my husband and my stepdaughter (collaborative approach) a digital story of the events that have shaped our year. I’m going to use what I learned in tech-class and try to repeat (if not perfect) it.
So the question still remains (and I know with certainty that I will revisit this in the next two quarters and beyond), what types of technology will I implement in my practice? I think this has much to do with time allotted for preparation and planning (my stress level and how overwhelmed I am—do I need to simply focus on the learning, or can I be creative at the same time?), what tools and resources will the school have at its disposal (what is available?), and how creative or alternative in my pedagogy am I willing to be? My answer, you ask? Creative. Alternative. Collaborative. If I’m confident using technology, then I hope that I will be able to find ways to encourage students to try using the tool. Additionally, I hope to be able to use technology as a way to differentiate learning, using it as a device to engage more students. I hope to pass on the skill of technological fluency to my students, to my stepdaughter, to the people around me—but first, I might need some more crash courses, and then, a lot of practice!
Compelling, visually and conceptually, but to a certain extent, I remain impartial about the uses of the web and other forms of advanced technology; but, it is obvious that some of us will be sucked in. I agree that what we once could do using pen and paper is by no means the only option for learning and correspondence. Of course, that mode is still an option, but not the most efficient. Even something as common as a land-line (house phone) pales in comparison to a cell phone, and the land-line has gone out of style. Certain forms of technology (tools) become obsolete. Communication via post mail (snail mail) went by way of telephone—people could communicate much quicker when they dialed a number. Some may argue that telephone usage is being replaced by informal Email—or texting! Of course, this is dependent upon personal choice and I don’t mean to make sweeping generalizations, but the possibilities of using the web as a communication source are profound—the film’s primary message. Additionally, I have listened to NPR hint that email is “old” and that Facebook and other social networking sites are the new hip trend that can offer more than basic email. I find it slightly amusing then, that NPR has also broadcasted about users’ dissatisfaction with the site, and is it possible that something even better than Facebook exists? If it doesn’t, it will soon. Technology shifts, morphs, and advances, and when it does, (when it is brought to the masses—the public) it isn’t by an elite few—the technologically savvy or computer geeks/geniuses! We (you and I) are the stewards of the web. But I don’t feel like a steward of the web—not really. I use the web to access and retrieve information. For the most part, I know my way around—I’d say I’m literate. My reservation has to do with asking the question, “How much of the web-landscape will I shape?” If all I do is blog or create a website to be used in a public school where access to the information is limited to those I teach, am I really shaping the future of the web? I’ll need to reflect about this question. I think, as an alternative, perhaps I am simply a participant of an on-going trend. But I don’t think we are anywhere near the end of that trend. If anything—something new will pop up, revolutionize the way we think about the internet and forms of communication, and take its place altogether. Before long, we will all be learning something new!
Ask me what I think now and whether I am able to answer my previous questions. First, I’d like to point out that I came across an intriguing guest speaker via another cohort’s blog post. I watched intently and took notes. The following is a summary.
I really enjoyed listening to Scott McLeod who pointed out 3 new functions of school. I’ll have to contemplate these functions as I continue to develop my teaching philosophy because they relate to what we have been studying related to technology. McLeod asserts that teachers need to:
1. Prepare students to be socially functional,
2. Prepare students to be masters of the dominant landscape of their time, and…
3. Prepare students so that they can be economically productive (so that they do not live in their parents' basements until they are 40 years old).
The speaker also points out that there is a big shift away from manual labor; there are disappearances in routine cognitive tasks (we can go to a kiosk to do business as opposed to having to deal directly with a sales-person. This shift isn’t always appreciated—think about what it’s like to bank over the phone. It can take forever to speak to a real person; instead, you hear an animated recording. On the other hand, self-checkout can be a godsend when a shopping line moves at slug-speed! People learn to navigate these situations.)
I could relate to something else McLeod had to say: “There is a ton of content out there. Some of it is junk some of it is phenomenal.” It is our task (yours and mine) to weed through the mass of information and decide what is good (and by this I mean helpful, though some may think I mean amusing) and what we can ignore. Also, because of the use of mobile devices, we can print or share information anytime and anywhere.
As I watched, I had an uncomfortable feeling start to creep into my mind. I started to think about my own stepdaughter and the type of technology (computer games, television, cell phones, etc.) that she is exposed to. McLeod’s address has me questioning how Hailey will be prepared for the economic/job outlook/landscape of the future. Conversely, what is my role or responsibility to see to it that Hailey is prepared for the new landscape of the future? And how do I make sure that I am on the cutting edge of technology (for example, just the other day I was learning about the differences between LCD and Plasma televisions. That made me feel like a real techno-dummy). I don’t necessarily feel the need to answer these questions right this minute because I’m still chewing on them. I think it’s important for me to learn, learn, learn, and expose myself to using technology. It’s awesome! For example, this year, I’m not going to write a Christmas card and waste paper and spend money. I’m going to create, with my husband and my stepdaughter (collaborative approach) a digital story of the events that have shaped our year. I’m going to use what I learned in tech-class and try to repeat (if not perfect) it.
So the question still remains (and I know with certainty that I will revisit this in the next two quarters and beyond), what types of technology will I implement in my practice? I think this has much to do with time allotted for preparation and planning (my stress level and how overwhelmed I am—do I need to simply focus on the learning, or can I be creative at the same time?), what tools and resources will the school have at its disposal (what is available?), and how creative or alternative in my pedagogy am I willing to be? My answer, you ask? Creative. Alternative. Collaborative. If I’m confident using technology, then I hope that I will be able to find ways to encourage students to try using the tool. Additionally, I hope to be able to use technology as a way to differentiate learning, using it as a device to engage more students. I hope to pass on the skill of technological fluency to my students, to my stepdaughter, to the people around me—but first, I might need some more crash courses, and then, a lot of practice!
1 comment:
Probably exactly where you should be right now!
I think that a telling point here is the major shift that happened about 5 years ago -when the web stopped being about getting information and started being about creating content -- and that's huge. And that's something that school really need to prepare kid for because while they know how to click around, they are far from "masters" of the current landscapes...
Here's a scary thought: If teachers wait until they're completely confident in what's current to start opening some of these tools to kids, the kids will still be using paper and pencil until adulthood :).
Here's what I think all teachers need to know: How do keep kids safe. How to teach kids about being good online citizens so that they do good and not harm. And how to model how to figure something out if it doesn't work the first time.
Many of these tools really are designed to teach people how to use them. Kids may be more willing to just jump in than we give them credit for.
And that leaves us with the questions about "how do I best nudge them to be strong, collaborative and curious learners"? Then the tools sort of take care of themselves.
Good luck with your holiday digital story!!
Post a Comment