Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Math Post

We've spent 9 weeks in math class, and as I reflect back on the experience, I feel like these are the things that I have learned:

1.  I can help my students more if I don't directly answer their questions (supply them with the answer); rather, I can answer their questions with a question (something my dad always used to tell me not to do!).  The purpose of this is not to make learning simple.  Learning is not a simple process.  The analogy that we were presented with was that of football players learning the plays for the game.  The coach doesn't run the plays while they watch.  The football players have to be in the driver's seat, running the plays so that they know exactly what and how to do them come game day.  The same holds true from our students.  If we tell them or give them answers without allowing them to be in the driver's seat, then they won't learn how to "do" in the real-world, in a context that is different than the classroom.   

2.  Learning is much more fun when it is experiential.  And learning is much more fun when it is presented in a format that is "problem-based."  This is to say, when students interact and engage with learning tools to build conceptual awareness, they often respond best when they take on the role of being a "problem-sovler" or a "detective."  I often refer to students as assuming the role of "sleuth."  Logic puzzles are highly appealing because of their challenging nature.  They are mysterious.  They can be frustrating, but for the most part, everyone wants to feel the satisfaction of "cracking the code."  So should math be just like this.

3.  Learners do not process or think about things in the same way.  We have different backgrounds and will approach the problem from many different angles.  Our multiple perspectives is what allows us to build a community of math proficiency.  We will not all be good at the same things.  We all have different ways of explaining.  We all notice different things.  We all respond in variable ways to patterns or cues that are suggestive of patterns.  Allow students to approach problems in a multitude of ways and be ready to explain or to teach in a variety of ways.  Be flexible to support their learning.

4.  Give students private time to think.  Allow them time to formulate their thoughts.  Encourage thinking.  Encourage "think, pair, share."  Encourage the use of egg-timers on desks.  Culturally we don't like silence, and the pace of class is to rush, rush, rush--teaching must happen (the teacher must talk).  Think time allows students to have an idea as opposed to feeling anxious if they are called on before they have any ideas in mind to share. 

5.  Encourage the use of technology and manipulatives and tactile (hands-on) learning, because this is culturally where we are headed and kids respond to these things.  There are a ton of amazing tools on the web (A Broken Calculator, 24, DASL, and Fathom to name a few).

It still remains a mystery how I will implement this type of learning and these type of tools in the classroom, but I find it immensely calming to know that my life line in my first year of teaching will be the Teacher's Manual.  It upsets me a little, knowing that my creativity may be shelved for the first few years.  But I'm relieved to know that this is acceptable--the reality.  Regardless, the end-goal is to teach in a manner where all students feel empowered and engaged in the classroom.  But, today I will be the acorn (not the oak tree).

For future reference, as a professor at the University, continue to provide learners with the "reality."  This is much appreciated.  Continue to utilize interactive, hands-on learning.  The only thing that I found slightly tiring was to not be allowed to choose where we sat in class.  Sometimes, we needed that break.  On the other hand, it held us accountable, and it was nice to sit with a random group of people--different from the previous week.  By still having us draw cards, but by allowing us to choose our own desks (every now and then) it provides us an opportunity to connect with friends whom we may not have connected with in a while.  

No comments: