Thursday, March 10, 2011

Philosophy on the Final Day

In Literacy we were asked to think about our teaching philosophy and then ask ourselves--what will our class look like? 

In a free-write, this is what I wrote:

"I'm in this program because I've always felt that I could help explain and share my ideas with other people so that they too could do, see, or think about things as I had seen them.  I wanted these people to feel the satisfaction of "getting it" or the feel a sense of accomplishment when they were able to do something.  What I want for my students is for them to become (if they aren't already) and remain (if they already are) curious and resourceful.  Also, I want them to know the satisfaction of knowing that they have great ideas and that their ideas are worth being shared.  I want kids to know they can express their ideas!"

When I think about how this philosophy might materialize--or what it might look like (indications that I am fulfilling my hopes), I want to see and hear on-going dialogue and discussions, I want to see students self-directing because they know where materials are, they are asking for additional materials to read if they are interested in a subject, they are tutoring their peers and asking their peers for help or for their peers to explain how they were thinking about something, and they share when they have an "a-ha moment."

Also, our teacher left us with a few tips, which in a day, I have been digesting and thinking very seriously about because I have already experienced that my life as a pre-service teacher is NOT balanced.  I feel like a maniac...stressed, and not acknowledging my husband, step-daughter, parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.  I don't want them to be shelved while I am studying and being a teacher.  It's a bad habit to build.  So here are a few teachers' tips that I embrace.

    1) Enjoy your students
    2) Get  to work very early or stay very late (one or the other).  A teachers day isn't 8-3.
    3)  Develop a system for organizing and grading papers
    4) Take time to enjoy things outside of school!  (Yoga, running, ballet).  The learning curve is steep
         and it is important to communicate this with your family and friends so that they can understand
         what you are going through.

So breathe....
Get to yoga....
Take a walk with my husband or cook dinner with him.

Although I am 6/7th of the way through the program, it's still a rough road ahead!

No comments: