Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Final Reflection for Writing Analysis


Receiving feedback from my peers helped me to think about the individual in a different way.  First and foremost, they probed me to consider the person Andy, in the hopes that I might better understand the writer Andy. This idea didn’t and doesn’t feel new or revolutionary, but my peers had me consider things that didn’t even come to mind while I reflected upon my learning with Andy. Kristin H. asked if the sample he provided was the only one I collected (yes, it was) and if I felt or knew if it was indicative/demonstrative of all is writing.  I don’t know the answer to that question.  I am presuming that Andy is capable of much more—but therein, capable and actual performances are two very different things. Could I have obtained a different sample?  Yes. I could have hounded his teacher or Andy for something more, but I was content to work with what I had because it was provided me with a plethora of content to analyze. As is the case for scientists—generally speaking, that is—the broader the sample size, the better, and realistically, the same is most likely true for Andy as well.  More samples of his writing would have indicated to me what his “typical” level of performance is like.  A sample that is published may fall outside of “typical level of performance”, but it would also show the students’ capabilities.  I’m doubtful that the sample Andy provided demonstrated his capabilities.  I wish I knew what the final draft version of his writing had looked like, as questioned by Tristen.  In the event that this sample had been in response to “his best day”, then I feel concerned because Andy did not address the question.  I would wonder if he understood the question asked.
               Tristen and Kristin brought up two very good points.  First, Tristen asked if Andy may have felt hesitant to share with me because another female student from the same class was also working with us. She was reputed as being a “lovely young girl.”  Perhaps because she was a “star” pupil, he felt he had trouble opening up during a 2-on-1 meeting. This brought to my attention that some students may benefit from 1-on-1 collaboration, especially if they have any anxieties about their skills, or in Andy’s case, a major dislike for writing.  Kristen E. asked what’s disagreeable about writing for Andy.  She asked if he detested prompts and canned school writing.  Sadly, my time working with Andy has been limited due to working with the other student in his class.  Following up and having a conversation with this student would be ideal.  Behind an assertion like, “I hate writing” there is always a reason why.  I like to get to the bottom of those things, but currently have not.  And lastly, Kristin H. asked if I knew whether or not Andy liked art.  She wanted to know if art would help him get an idea “out” (communicated, written down).  I don’t know—but I’d like to try because I have experienced that many children have strong artistic aptitudes and can express themselves in different mediums from the ones we traditional utilize (such as writing). Narrating and employing technology could be very engaging for some students.  Drawing can often times be a motivator.  I think that if art is to be utilized, it is important to remember that it is the writing that supports the final artistic outcome, and at the same time, it is art that can generate and support a writing platform or skill.  Needless to say, there is always so much more that meets the eye when working with a student, especially when working with a student for an isolated period of time.  I am reminded to think about the student’s person first, and to try to learn as much about him or her as I can.  I am also reminded to not jump to any large conclusions, to ask questions, and to remember—I can only do my best in terms of what I am given to work with, what I know, and how I think of the student—which in turn will shape how I hope to impact his or her learning.

No comments: